Wheels and Goals

News, updates, features and opinions on football and motor sport

Football League Results – Championship

Blackpool find themselves top of the Championship tonight after beating Reading 1-0 at Bloomfield Road. Tom Barkhuizen got the only goal of the heavily contested match. The away side came close on a couple of occasions and even hit the woodwork with Jem Karacan’s shot. Blackpool managed to hold on for the victory though, much to the delight of manager, Paul Ince.

Ince said:

“When you look at us, talent alone won’t win you matches, you have to have a bit extra and that’s what got us through.”

Leicester moved up to second place after winning an eventful match against Birmingham. The Foxes ended up winning 3-2 despite going behind early on. Matt Green gave Birmingham the lead after 12 minutes, a lead that City would keep until the 78th minute. This was when Leicester finally equalised through a Jamie Vardy strike. Just a few minutes later, the home side found themselves in the lead through Andy King’s clinical finish. Leicester weren’t done there either, with David Nugent slotting away a penalty in injury-time after Lloyd Dyer had been fouled. Birmingham did have time get a second goal through Chris Burke but Leicester held on. Birmingham have now lost three of their four games this season, which will be of some concern for manager, Lee Clark.

QPR continued their good start to the season by beating Bolton 1-0 at the Reebok Stadium. Andy Johnson’s goal not long into the second half was enough for the title favourites, who have now won three of their four games so far this season. Bolton on-the-other-hand are still awaiting their first win of the season, having drawn two and lost two so far. The result means that QPR are in third place, level on points with Leicester and Blackpool. Bolton find themselves down in 21st, just above the relegation zone.

Andy Johnson scored the winner for QPR

There was controversy at The Valley in the game between Charlton and Doncaster, as bad weather led to the game being abandoned. Doncaster were winning 3-1 when the referee, Lee Collins, decided that the pitch was too heavily water-logged to continue. The game was also suspended midway through the first half, when Donny were winning 2-0. Goals from Paul Keegan and Chris Brown had given the visitors the lead before the rain began to increase. Eight Charlton ground staff with pitchforks were joined by Doncaster players, James Husband and Robinson, as they tried to clear the pitch of standing water. When the game finally got back underway, the home side were the first to get back up to speed through a Simon Church goal. Donny soon restored their two goal advantage though, with Chris Brown getting his second of the game. Shortly after the break however, the game was abandoned for safety reasons, much to the disgust of Doncaster Manager, Paul Dickov.

Dickov said:

“He should have let play go for as long as he could before half-time. Once he made the decision to take us off, he put a whole lot of pressure on himself.”

Championship Results – 24/8/13
Bolton 0-1 QPR
Blackburn 5-2 Barnsley
Blackpool 1-0 Reading
Brighton 2-0 Burnley
Charlton 1-3 Doncaster – Abandoned due to waterlogged pitch
Huddersfield 5-1 Bournemouth
Ipswich 1-2 Leeds
Leicester 3-2 Birmingham
Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Millwall
Yeovil 0-3 Derby


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Follow me on Twitter

%d bloggers like this: